Thursday, April 30, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back. Or is it one step forward, two steps back?

Well it's been almost a day and a half with no fevers. He isn't coughing as much. Also, they took that nasty scalp IV out, unfortunately scalping him in the process. (Despite some adhesive remover it ripped out about 50 precious little hairs.) He came down some on his O2 last night. Then they tried taking him off the CPAP and within an hour or two he was satting 68 and had some collapse on the left side despite being on 60% O2.  So, needless to say he is back on CPAP.  He does seem more like himself to me. More alert and fiesty.
They told me they definately won't be going ahead with starting the ketogenic diet next week. They need to wait until he is 100% as it can lower his immunity. So it'll be back to Seizureville, population Ambrose.
Stay tuned.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 3 -First blog post

Today is day 3 of Ambrose's PICU admission for a presumed pneumonia.
He was flown by helicopter from our local ER on Monday, April 27 after a weekend of fevers, coughing, and worsening respiratory distress.  He is stable with slight improvement since Mon.
He is on CPAP on 45% O2.  He is getting IV and inhaled antibiotics and albuterol.  His lungs are full of junk.  They say he "sounds like a washing machine."  He tested negative for all viruses (There is no test yet for Swine Flu in case you are wondering, but they don't suspect that) and has not grown anything from his cultures.  
I am hoping to be able to hold him for the first time since Mon when he wakes up.
His (and Sophia's) friend Ben is just down the hall.
He is such a good boy!  Please keep him and Ben in your prayers.